(AP) A St. Louis man jailed for domestic violence was freed after a nonprofit group posted his $5,000 bail. Authorities say he then went to his wife’s home and beat her to death. Samuel Lee Scott was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder in the death of his wife, 54-year-old Marcia Johnson. Scott is jailed on $1 million bond. Scott was charged April 5 for allegedly striking Johnson in the face in January. On April 9, the St. Louis Bail Project posted Scott’s bail and he was released. The project bails out people who are jailed awaiting trial and can’t afford their own bail. Later that night, a friend took Johnson to a hospital after finding her badly injured. Johnson died Sunday.
- Video. Why criminals like Catch and Release Bail Reform
- A Review of Failed Bail Reform: An Analysis of States
- St. Louis Bail Project client kills wife after release from jail
- January 2019 – 54% FTA. February 2019 – 57% FTA. March 2019 – 63% FTA.
- Commits Burglary 1 while out of jail on OR for Distributing drugs.